The Social Sciences Human Subjects Lab Pool provides access to a large subject pool of undergraduate students for recruitment in “no more than minimal risk” research studies (i.e., Exempt or Expedited Research only). We use a web-based human subject pool management software called Sona Systems in order for researchers to recruit participants.
In order to start using the HS Lab Pool to recruit participants, researchers must:
- Obtain approval (IRB or UROP - see below for details) to recruit via the HS Lab Pool;
- Submit your approved documents, including a separate HS Lab Application*, to the HS
Lab Pool for review and approval.
*NOTE: A separate HS Lab Application form is required for each study you plan to run (even if they all fall under the umbrella of one larger study).
- Researchers who wish to recruit participants via the HS Lab Pool must provide compensation via course credit only.
- Compensation must be at a rate comparable to their time spent (e.g., 1/2 credit for up to 1/2 hour of participation, 1 credit for up to 60 minutes).
- Cash/monetary compensation for participation is NOT allowed through the HS Lab Pool. If you want to pay participants in cash, you will need to recruit via other methods.
- Review of new studies may take between 3-5 business days depending on volume. Thank you for your patience.
You may continue to use the HS Lab Pool as long as you are:
1) approved to continue recruitment via the HS Lab Pool and, more importantly,
2) your protocol is in approved status.
If your study has EXPIRED, you cannot continue use of the HS Lab Pool for recruitment purposes. Your study will be suspended in Sona Systems and will be re-opened once you have provided us with your current IRB-approved documents for verification.
INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD (IRB) REVIEW:
If the IRB will be reviewing your study, remember to include the following information in your Protocol Narrative and Study Information Sheet/Consent Form:
- Under Compensation: Make sure to state that participants will be compensated at a rate comparable to their participation (e.g., if they participate up to 1/2 hour, they will receive 1/2 credit).
Follow the below guidelines for NEW or EXISTING IRB Protocols.
- For NEW Protocols: Directions on how to submit a new HS protocol to the IRB for review can be found here: https://apps.research.uci.edu/irbapp
- For EXISTING Protocols: Directions on how to submit an e-MOD Request for IRB review can be found here: https://apps.research.uci.edu/irmod/
UROP EXEMPT REVIEW:
In an effort to streamline and facilitate review of human subjects research conducted by undergraduate researchers, the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) will now review and confirm Exempt research. This change took effect with UROP's 2017 Fall Call for Proposals. In order to qualify for UROP review, the Lead Researcher (LR) must be an undergraduate with a Faculty Mentor/Sponsor at UCI.
Undergraduates conducting research should review the UROP Exempt Review Protocol Narrative to determine if their research qualifies as exempt research and is eligible for UROP confirmation. If yes, students must complete the UROP Protocol Narrative and submit it as part of their UROP Proposal. (Please make sure to review the directions listed on the Protocol Narrative to ensure that you are submitting the correct documents for review.)
If your research includes one or more of the following elements, your study cannot be reviewed by UROP and must be reviewed/approved by the IRB.
- Research that qualifies for Expedited review;
- Research that involves the following populations: prisoners; adults who may not be legally/mentally/cognitively competent to consent on their own behalf; individuals under the age of 18;
- Research involving deception or incomplete disclosure;
- Research involving access to or the use of Protected Health Information (PHI);
- Research where subject identifiers will be collected (e.g., name, email address, cell phone number) along with sensitive information (e.g., illegal behavior, or sensitive themes such as sexual experiences, physical abuse, alcohol or drug use, undesirable work behavior, or other information that may be embarrassing or psychologically painful) that could place subjects at risk for criminal or civil liability, or might be damaging to subjects' financial standing, employability or reputation.
WHAT TO SUBMIT TO THE HS LAB POOL:
Once you have received IRB or UROP approval, you will need to submit the following documents in order to request a Researcher Account and to get your study set up in SONA:
- HS Lab Pool Application Form NOTE: This form is REQUIRED to use the HS Lab Pool. It does not need to be submitted
to the IRB or UROP for review/approval.
- UCI IRB Approval Letter (for Expedited Protocols) or Confirmation Letter (for Exempt Registration) OR UROP Confirmation Letter
- Approved Protocol Narrative
- Approved Consent Form *or* Study Information Sheet (if waiver of written consent was granted)
Please send these documents to the HS Lab Pool at: email@example.com.
Once your documents have been reviewed and your account set up, you will receive a confirmation email with instructions on how to log into Sona to set up your study. As noted above, review of new studies may take between 3-5 business days depending on volume. Studies submitted during intersessions will be reviewed prior to the start of the next academic quarter. Thank you for your patience.
RESERVING ROOMS IN THE HS LAB POOL:
**NOTE: Use of the below rooms will NOT be available during the 2018-19 academic year. We apologize for the inconvenience.**
The HS Lab Pool has available computers/rooms for researchers in need of space to conduct their studies.
If you are interested, please check for room availability by clicking on the "View Schedule" link under Calendar:
|Room||# of Available Computers||Calendar||Reserve It|
|SSL 436||12 computers (12 single rooms)||View Schedule||
|SSL 467||8 computers (within one room)||View Schedule||
|SSL 469||8 computers (within one room)||View Schedule||
When submitting your reservation request, please make sure to include the following information in your email:
- Your Name
- Your Study Name (as listed in SONA) along with the HS# or UROP#
- SSL Room Number you are requesting
- Days (including month and day) and Time (beginning - end time) being requested
NOTE: Room use is allowed starting in Week 2 of each academic quarter. In general, reservations
are allowed in 2-3 week increments.
Please note that during Spring Quarter, room scheduling priority is given to the experimental psychology class (PSYCH H111C/112C) offered by the Department of Cognitive Sciences, so options may be limited. During the summer, rooms may be available depending on available staff support. Please plan accordingly.
Lastly, while we do not currently charge for use of our facilities, please note that we may do so in the near future. Information will be posted on this site if that should occur.